I’m just going to put this out there – I have received Botox® treatments to alleviate some fine lines and wrinkles I wasn’t super excited about. I’m not ashamed of having done it, and I liked how it minimized the lines and wrinkles I was targeting. I also liked how I felt when I looked in the mirror. Rather than going “ugh!” every morning, I felt like, “huh, not bad!”
Of course, as much as we would like to think we can turn back time, that’s just not realistic. But when I started seeing research on how cosmetic injectables were being used in treating depression and anxiety, I had to learn more.
I know what you may be thinking…”Wait. What? Cosmetic services at a psychiatry office?!” Hear me out!
What The Research Says
Botulinum toxin, the key ingredient in many cosmetic injectable treatments, has proven to have many positive effects on patients with treatment-resistant depression and anxiety.
A study titled Efficacy of Botox versus Placebo for Treatment of Patients with Major Depression researched whether or not Botox is an effective treatment for those with major depressive disorder. The study consisted of 28 patients with major depressive disorder. The patients were assigned to either receive a placebo or Botox. Researchers followed the patients for six weeks.
At the end of the first week, researchers saw little difference between the patients in the placebo group and those in the Botox group. However, the results after six weeks were encouraging. The patients who were given Botox showed an improvement in their major depressive disorder. The same patients were also found to have little or no side effects from Botox. This finding offers hope to researchers, therapists, and those with major depressive disorders.
Numerous other bodies of research frequently point to the same conclusion: cosmetic injectables, like Botox, help alleviate the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
How Do Cosmetic Injectables Relieve Symptoms of Depression?
In a study published in SAGE Journals, Does Blocking Facial Feedback Via Botulinum Toxin Injections Decrease Depression? A Critical Review and Meta-Analysis, researchers concluded the following:
- The cosmetic effect indirectly leads to an improved mood.
- More pleasant facial expressions lead to positive social feedback with resultant mood improvement.
- Decreased glabellar muscle activation decreases afferent nerve signals to the brain, thereby reducing “negative emotional feedback.”
- Emotions and their expressions can send feedback to the brain. Cosmetic injectable suppresses the contraction in the forehead that produces frown lines. The suppression of the frown lines may result in improved mood. For those who tried everything and still suffer from the effects of major depressive disorder, the idea of using a cosmetic injectable with botulinum toxin should be considered.
What to Expect
At Certus, all of our care providers, myself included, are trained to administer cosmetic injectables.
The following is the process of receiving your injection:
- First, we’ll clean the injection sites with alcohol wipes.
- A medication to numb the area of the injection will be applied.
- The medication is injected into the area we discuss beforehand, such as in the forehead, around the eyes, and along frown line around the mouth.
Potential Side Effects
- You may experience pain, swelling, or bruising near the injection site.
- Headache and flu-like symptoms are possible but not typical.
We will discuss these and other side effects with you during our consultation. Still, when you weigh those side effects versus those commonly experienced with anti-depression medications (nausea, sexual dysfunction, drowsiness and fatigue, increased appetite and weight gain, and insomnia), cosmetic injectables may not look too bad (get it?) as an option.
Let’s get the conversation started. Please schedule an appointment with one of our care providers. And remember, we are always accepting new patients, and you will have your first appointment with us within five days. If you request a specific provider on a particular day and time, we will make every concession to make that happen, but you will likely need to be seen by an available provider.